ENT, i.e., Ear, Nose, Throat, is a medicinal and surgical subspecialty dealing with respective body parts. It is also known as Otolaryngology. The doctors of this field are ENT physicians or surgeons, or otolaryngologists. They are experts in diagnosing and treating any disease or deformity related to the ear, nose, and throat in children or adults. It is one of the finest and oldest fields of medical science, and it has been changing with time.
Common Ear Nose Throat Conditions That Require Surgery
Below are injuries or conditions that require ear nose throat head, and neck surgery:
- Injury or infection that causes a hole in the eardrum and results in hearing problems, and it mainly happens in the case of children- Tympanoplasty- repairing the eardrum.
- Periodic fever and chronic strep throats, snoring, sleep apnea in adults and children- Tonsillectomy- removal of tonsils.
- Nasal airway blockage, sleep apnea, snoring, chronic tonsillitis- Adenoidectomy- removal of the adenoids.
- Inner ear damage, struggling to understand speech even with hearing aids- Cochlear implants- implantation of neuroprosthesis surgically.
- Swelling of nasal passage, stuffy nose, headaches, and cough- Sinus Surgery- opening the pathways of sinuses.
- Chronic inflammation of parotids- Parotidectomy- removal of parotid glands.
- Continuous blocked nose from a deviated septum, blockage of airflow- Septoplasty- straightening of the septum.
- Chronic ear problems like infection, hearing loss, pain, ringing, dizziness caused from an excessive build-up of fluid in the middle ear- Myringotomy- creating a hole in the eardrum to pass the fluid.
- Structural defects of nose affecting breathing- Rhinoplasty- reconstructing the shape of the nose.
- Airway blockage from sudden injury of neck or face- Tracheostomy- insertion of a tube in trachea to help to breathe.
Conditions and concerns
ENT problems are common, and a wide range of diseases fall into this category. Hearing difficulties, dysphagia, vertigo, allergies, sleep apnea, nose bleeds, tinnitus, tonsillitis, sinusitis, and dizziness are the most common ENT problems and symptoms. Any other persistent symptoms of your ear, nose, throat, head, neck, or balance might make you go to an ENT specialist as they are experts with specialization in the field.
Ear conditions include:
- glue ear and grommets,
- Meniere disease,
- Swimmer’s ear, etc.
Nose conditions include:
- Dust, pet, pollen allergies,
- Deviated septum,
- Migraines, etc.
Throat conditions include:
- Gastric reflux,
- Hoarseness, vocal cord disorders,
- Swallowing disorders,
- Vascular malformation, etc.
These problems go away with medicinal treatments, but sometimes they need surgical procedures. ENT problems are generally not very serious, but they can get complicated over time if not treated.
Areas of expertise you should look for
Areas of expertise in the ENT field are broad. They include:
- Pediatric Otolaryngology,
- Head and neck,
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery,
- Microvascular reconstruction repair, and more.
You can also visit a clinic and contact the help desk or check out the inquiry form available on the website for further assistance. Don’t waste any valuable time when you are experiencing problems related to your ear, nose, or throat, and reach out to concerned specialists.